We are hydroelectric power specialists.
Whether you need inspection, installation, repair, overhaul, maintenance, refurbishment, or upgrade of your hydroelectric plant equipment, SSMRC millwrights are ready to service your scheduled or forced outage needs, anytime, anyplace. Stationed across the South, our union millwrights and are experienced in working at every type of hydro-power facility, and they are experts in installing, maintaining, and repairing the different types of turbines used in these facilities as well as wicket gates, flood gates, and trash rakes. The SSMRC has signatory partners that offer complete engineering and repair services.
Our hydro training includes detailed instruction related to the following.
The three types of hydro-power facilities:
- Pump Storage
Different turbine types used in hydro-power facilities:
- Impulse Turbines (Pelton)
- Reaction Turbines (Francis and Kaplan)
- Reversible Pumped Storage Units (Francis)
Our millwrights also receive advanced training in installing, maintaining, and repairing all other mechanical equipment, including wicket gates, flood gates, and trash rakes, operated as part of hydroelectric plants.
Quality Work Via Top-Notch Training
Our millwrights and instructors train on the most advanced equipment and tools in the industry.
Precision hand and power tools used in the industry and their proper care and uses are covered extensively. Rigging fundamentals and safety are taught, and the importance of taking “as found” readings, match marking, bagging and tagging are emphasized.
Just a sample of the skill set our precision millwrights provide includes:
- Disassembly Procedures
- Inspection Processes
- Reassembly Procedures
- Making and Properly Installing Gaskets
- Adjusting the Wicket Gates
- Vertical Shaft Alignment
- Precision Leveling
- Using Plumb Wires and a Static Mic
- Final Assembly and Adjustments
Special Attention to Safety
There is no substitute for solid attention to safety, and the SSMRC believes a safe work site is achieved only by comprehensive training for every millwright on every project. Our members must complete and achieve mastery of the following health and safety training programs:
- Blood Borne Pathogens
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Confined Space Worker Safety
- Fall Arrest
- Hazardous Waste Worker Safety
- Lock-Out/Tag-Out Safety
- Material Safety Data Sheet Competency
- Millwright Health & Safety 16-Hour Course
- Occupational Safety and Health Act 30-Hour Course
- Scaffold User Safety
By using Southern States Millwrights, you are assured quality, productive work, from pre-planning to maintenance. Our promise is simple:
- We will do our work safely, accurately, and dependably.
- We will respond to all requests promptly and will deliver the service that we promised.
- We will communicate early and often and will involve the customer every step of the way.
- We will complete projects according to specified schedules with pride and integrity.